But 1st get it right, 5 de Mayo is not what you think.
Cinco de Mayo is not Mexican Independence Day but the anniversary of the Mexican Militia’s win over the French Army in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Nowadays it has become a day to honour Mexican culture and heritage across the world, and though celebrations in Canada can be hard to come by, we’ve prepared you a guide to one of Mexico’s biggest festivities of the year.
When you hear a Mexican saying “Donde es la Peda?” (Where is the Party?) you know that they are preparing to munch tasty Mexican food, have some Tequilas and of course enjoy dancing to the rhythms of traditional Mexican music.
Get prepared to celebrate the Mexican way!
- Make a real Margarita with Mexican tequila. Dipping the cup border in lime juice and rock salt is the traditional way.
- Enjoy tacos with Mexican fixings (please don’t piss off Mexicans by mixing with things like sushi). You can choose between fresh tomato salsa, cheese, sour cream, black beans, meat and lots of MOLE and guacaMOLE!
- Download the best of mariachi music or billboard hits such as Santa or the Gipsy Kings, and turn it up!
- Find a piñata at your local party store and hang it in an open space. Also get some decor in green, white and red, the colours of the Mexican flag.
- The ultimate touch of authenticity comes with an original dance show like those performed by Nahualli Folklore. You can book a show now!
Where is ‘La Fiesta’ in Canada?
La Casita will be definitely a popular spot with Margarita servings, music and giveaways. If you’re looking for something less boozy you can look for a series of dance performances that will happen throughout the city.
In 2018, El Catrin has prepared a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta that will include live mariachi music, and Mexicali sounds, as well as access to their Tequila Marketplace to try premium tequilas and cocktails.
Another option in Toronto will be to attend the 5 de Mayo Party by Ritmo events with Jose Marquez (Los Angeles, Fania Records) at Luanda House.
Cinco de Mayo at OPEX Calgary to commemorate the Mexican Army’s victory over the French Empire… by enjoying some tacos and guacamole!
5 de Mayo with Roca Patron. Experience the ultimate Fiesta with tequila and tacos! Sip on variations of Roca Patron while enjoying the flavours of authentic Mexican fare. Learn about the history of agave in Mexico. Get your sombreros out and celebrate the one day you should be choosing tequila over wine!
So, what are you waiting for?
Don’t wait more and get ready for the upcoming Cinco de Mayo celebrations in Canada.